Coming soon...

Position paper: What does it mean to read "diverse" literature?

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Al Capone Does My Shirts

"Al Capone does my Shirts," by Gennifer Choldenko was an interesting novel to discuss. I was however most interested in the character Natalie who is defined throughout the novel as being "different." Although the reader is never given information on Natalie's disability, I assumed that she was autistic. I was not angry with the author for not giving a detailed definition of Natalie's disability however I felt that the characteristics given to her by her peers and others and the island were somewhat troubling. I must admit that the time era of this novel may have most to do with these troubling descriptions however perhaps the author, writing in more current times, could have celebrated Natalie's differences more than acknowledged her to be at times an embarrassment!

Part of the reason why I was so intrigued by this novel was the simple fact that it is part of my major-special education. I felt strongly about the topics surrounding Natalie and her family and perhaps it is encouraging to know that since the 1930s there has been substantial change associated with persons with disabilities. I have even more hope for the future and for people who struggle with disabilities!

No comments: